Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Half Hearted Disagreement

"You have to be okay on your own, I know I am," he said, taking another bite of his maple soaked stack of pancakes, chewing as if the conversation was over.

"Yeah, but...I'm not so sure people are 'okay' alone. I mean, perhaps 'okay' is all they are, perhaps nothing higher than that."

"No, in order to be good in a relationship, you need to be completely and utterly okay with being alone. You have to be totally happy alone."

"Yeah, but I'm not happy when I'm alone. I don't think I want to be. I think I'm my best self as part of a couple."

"That's ridiculous!" he lowered his eyes into his coffee cup as he took a huge gulp, "You have to be complete on your own to be complete in a relationship."

"Do you?" she asked, truly wondering.

"Yes."

Perhaps he was right, but she always had a sinking suspicion that hearts were really the shape of only half a heart and it took two to make a heart complete.

1 comment: